Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Centreville in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Stone Church

Haven for the Wounded

 
 
Old Stone Church - Haven for the Wounded Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 16, 2006
1. Old Stone Church - Haven for the Wounded Marker
Inscription. Here, where the Warrenton Turnpike turned west from Braddock Road, the Union army marched from Centreville to meet Confederate forces in the first great battle of the Civil War on July 21, 1961. The afternoon, Union soldiers passed by here again, fleeing from the Manassas battlefield to reach Washington, D.C., the next day.

To your right is the “Old Stone Church” used as a Union hospital by Assistant Surgeon David L. Magruder, who later wrote that he “took possession of a stone church, pleasantly situated in a grove of timber, directly Ö to the right of the road we had passed on advancing t the attack.” The numerous casualties treated here and in other nearby hospitals overwhelmed the Federal medical service, which was not well-organized, had too few ambulances, and lacked trained personnel. The church served as a Union hospital again during the Second Battle of Manassas in August 1862. Both armies used these roads and occupied this area several times during the war. Soldiers dismantled the church, but it was rebuilt in 1870.

Behind the church to the south stood the largest fort in the Confederate defensive network around Centreville. Nearby camps housed 40,000 Confederate soldiers in log huts during the winter of 1861–1862. Some of the smaller fortifications, a connecting trench, and hut
Close-Up of Sarah Emma Edmonds Portrait image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 16, 2006
2. Close-Up of Sarah Emma Edmonds Portrait
sites survive today about a mile to your left.

Pvt. Frank Thompson, 2nd Michigan Infantry, served as a nurse here after the battle to 1861. Thompson was in reality Sarah Emma Edmonds (1841–1898), one of hundreds of women who assumed male garb to participate in the war. Edmonds wrote a book, Nurse and Spy in the Union Army, recounting her experiences and later received a pension for her service.
 
Erected by Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 38° 50.473′ N, 77° 25.802′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Braddock Road west of Lee Highway (U.S. 29), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. There has been a lot of street alignment and name changes in this section of Centreville, so be sure to have the latest map. This is the short section of Braddock Road that is not connected to the other Braddock Roads. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13941 Braddock Road, Centreville VA 20120, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Archaeology at Newgate Tavern (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Convicts and Slaves
Old Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats
3. Old Stone Church
(about 500 feet away); Newgate Tavern (about 500 feet away); Mount Gilead Historic Site (about 700 feet away); St. Johnís Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Centreville.
 
More about this marker. One in the series of Virginia Civil War Trails markers.
 
Also see . . .
1. Stone Church, Centreville, Va. Photograph from [Alexander] Gardner's Photographic Sketch Book of the War on the George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film website. (Submitted on September 17, 2006.) 

2. Civil War Photographs of Centreville. These photos are on Frank Harrell's website. (Submitted on September 17, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Tablets on the Old Stone Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 16, 2006
4. Tablets on the Old Stone Church
The first reads: Centreville Methodist Church. Built 1855. Destroyed during the Civil War. Rebuilt 1870. This marker presented in memory of Martha Elliott Saunders by her children, Otto, Frank and Martha; 1939. The second reads: This edifice became the Anglican Church of the Ascension on December 23, 1973.
The Anglican Church of the Ascension image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 16, 2006
5. The Anglican Church of the Ascension
Close-Up of Map Reproduced on Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, September 16, 2006
6. Close-Up of Map Reproduced on Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 5,235 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   6. submitted on September 19, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement