Somerville in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Somerville Borough Hall
The building is the second on this site, preceded by a residence in a similar style that was constructed in the early 1840s for Albert Camman. Upon his death in 1866, the home was purchased by Eugene Doughty. Later, his son Joshua, sold the property to Daniel Robert.
The original structure was replaced by the present one. After Mrs. Robertís death in 1923, the estate was sold to the Somerville Lodge of Elks. The ballroom they added now houses the Borough Library. The property was acquired by the Borough of Somerville in 1958.
Fires in 1967 and again in 1980 required extensive renovations. However, much of the elaborate original interior remains intact.
David Hollod, Mayor
Erected 1998 by Somerville Historic Committee.
Location. 40° 34.236′ N, 74° 37.164′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25 West End Ave., Somerville NJ 08876, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Furman Frederick Kugler (within shouting distance of this marker); Armed Forces Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fireman's Museum (about 500 feet away); Ruth St. Denis (approx. ľ mile away); Site of St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion Parsonage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jersey Central Lines (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Former Second National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Somerville.
More about this marker. Marker is on the right pillar of the former gates that were part of the estate. The gas lamps and fence that were likely part of the gate design are long gone.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Somerville Borough Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,183 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.