Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oldtown in Forsyth County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Congregation Store Addition after 1766

 
 
Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, February 22, 2012
1. Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker
Inscription. This addition to the Bethabara store was built sometime after 1766, according to surviving maps. Notice the fireplace base support extending to the cellar floor. Additions to Moravian buildings were common, often based more on practicality that architectural aesthetics. This second addition to the store stood diagonally adjacent to it.

"Busy day, the roof and rafters over the store were rapidly taken down, and new rafters placed to cover the old house and the addition which had been laid before Easter; then most of the roof was covered before night, so that in case of rain, no damage would be done."

Bethabara Diary, May 7, 1764.
 
Erected by Historic Bethabara Park.
 
Location. 36° 9.34′ N, 80° 17.88′ W. Marker is in Oldtown, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker can be reached from Bethabara Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in Historic Bethabara Park. Marker is in this post office area: Winston Salem NC 27106, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tailor's Shop 1764 (within shouting distance of this marker); Palisade Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Congregation Store 1759 & 1764
Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, February 22, 2012
2. Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Tailor's Shop Addition and Well after 1766 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Well 1763 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brothers House 1755 (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith's House 1762 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oldtown.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, February 22, 2012
3. Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker
Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, February 22, 2012
4. Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker
Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael C. Wilcox, February 22, 2012
5. Congregation Store Addition after 1766 Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 13, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement