Near Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Victoria County C.S.A.
Troops furnished the Confederacy included 5 cavalry companies. County men were also in the 6th Texas Infantry, which trained at Henry E. McCulloch, a camp of instruction 4 miles from Victoria. Local men in Hood's, Ross' and Sibley's Brigades, Terry's Texas Rangers and Buchel's Cavalry were among the 90,000 Texans noted for mobility and daring who fought on every battlefront. Fort Esperanza, on Matagorda Island, was garrisoned by 100 Victoria militia, who were captured by 1,900 Federals.
The people at home made cloth, tallow candles, shoe blacking from china berries, coffee substitutes from parched corn, dried potatoes or okra seeds. To block 1863 threat of Federal invasion, Gen. John B. Magruder, Commander of the Dept. of Texas, destroyed the railroad from Port Lavaca to Victoria. Citizens sacrificed their fine river harbor, one of the two busiest in Texas, by felling trees and sinking boats in the shipping lanes.
Erected 1964 by State Historical Survey Comittee. (Marker Number 5652.)
Location. 28° 43.777′ N, 97° 8.446′ W. Marker is near Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is at the intersection of SW Moody Street (Business U.S. 59) and Custom Queen Road, on the right when traveling south on SW Moody Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Coleto Creek Roadside Park., Victoria TX 77905, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Guadalupe River (approx. 8.9 miles away); Home of Empresario Martín de León (approx. 9.3 miles away); Regan House (approx. 9.4 miles away); 1892 Victoria County Courthouse (approx. 9.4 miles away); De Leon Plaza (approx. 9.5 miles away); John J. Linn (approx. 9.8 miles away); Doña Patricia de la Garza de Leon (approx. 9.8 miles away); Don Martin de León (approx. 9.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 76 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 14, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surrounding in context. • Can you help?