Martinez in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Martinez Public Library
Martinez Free Reading Room and Library
Housed in building
owned by Dr. John Strentzel
620 Main Street
Main & Estudillo
Land donated by Mrs. John Strentzel
and Louie Strentzel Muir
Building built at the cost of $6,371
by popular subscription
Moved to present location
740 Court Street
Constructed with local bonds
Historic Marker XVIII
October 4, 2003
Erected 2003 by Martinez Historical Society.
Location. 38° 1.08′ N, 122° 8.045′ W. Marker is in Martinez, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Ward Street, on the right when traveling south on Court Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 740 Court Street, Martinez CA 94553, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hook Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Contra Costa County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Morgan House (about 400 feet away); Borland Home (about 500 feet away); 736 Ferry Street State Theatre (about 500 feet away); Rankin Building (about 500 feet away); Bergamini Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Martinez.
Also see . . . Martinez Library. The Martinez Historical Society's page for the Martinez Library: "In 1883, a small group of young women formed a reading society and opened a public reading room at 620 Main Street in a building owned by Dr. John Strentzel. The goals were to discuss literature and raise money for a free library. In 1885, the society dissolved and reformed as the Martinez Free Reading Room and Library Association. Members were charged 25 cents per month for the privilege of borrowing books. Reading in the library was free to all." (Submitted on March 25, 2012.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 25, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.