Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Maxcy Gregg Park
This city park, established in 1911, was named for Confederate General Maxcy Gregg (1814-1862). It was one of several parks in Columbia proposed by landscape architect Harlan P. Kelsey of Boston, whose 1905 plan was commissioned by the Civic Improvement League. The park, donated to the city by George R. Rembert (1875-1913), was the central portion of a tract originally bounded by Bull, Wheat, and Greene Streets and the Southern Railway.
The park was later divided by Pickens Street in the late 1930s and by the extension of Blossom Street in 1939. The Woman's Club of Columbia (1941), across Blossom Street, was built in what was then still part of the park. The Memorial Youth Center, dedicated in 1948, was demolished in 1987. A swimming pool and bathhouse were dedicated in 1949. Recent additions include the Capital Senior Center (1995) and Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors Garden (2003).
Erected 2012 by The Maxcy Gregg Park Centennial Committee and the City of Columbia. (Marker Number 40-174.)
Location. 33° 59.853′ N, 81° 1.245′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Blossom Street, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Statue of Liberty Division (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Youth Center (within shouting distance of this marker); The Boys of Richland County (approx. 0.2 miles away); A.S. Salley House (approx. ¼ mile away); Mexican Border and World War Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Remembering Dr. King (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cain- Matthews- Tompkins House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gibbes Green (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,294 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on April 29, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.