Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Independent Presbyterian Church

 
 
Independent Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
1. Independent Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. The Independent Presbyterian Church was organized in 1755. The first meeting house stood facing Market Square in Savannah, between what are now St. Julian and Bryan Streets, on property granted by King George II for the use and benefit of those dissenters who were professors of the doctrine of the Church of Scotland agreeable to the Westminster Confession of Faith.

The original church building erected on the present site was designed by John H. Greene, a gifted Rhode Island architect. In 1819 it was dedicated with impressive services which were attended by President James Monroe. The church was destroyed by fire in 1889.

The present church building was completed in 1891. The architect, William G. Preston, followed the general plan of the former structure. It was regarded as a notable example of American church architecture.

Among the distinguished ministers of the Independent Presbyterian Church since its founding have been John Joachim Zubly, 1758- 1781; Henry Kollock, 1805- 1819; Daniel Baker, 1828- 1831; Willard Preston, 1831- 1856, and I.S.K. Axson, 1857- 1891.

Ellen Louise Axson who was born in the manse of the Independent Presbyterian Church in 1860 was married in 1883 to Woodrow Wilson later President of the United States, in a room in the manse.
 
Erected 1955
Independent Prebyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 2008
2. Independent Prebyterian Church
by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-35.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 4.594′ N, 81° 5.579′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Bull Street near Oglethorpe Avenue, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowell Mason 1792- 1872 (a few steps from this marker); Original 1733 Burial Plot (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Juliette Low (within shouting distance of this marker); "Tyrants Fall In Every Foe Liberty's In Every Blow" (within shouting distance of this marker); James Moore Wayne, 1790-1867 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Wm. A. Caruthers (1802-46) (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Presbyterian Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Independent Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
3. Independent Presbyterian Church
Independent Presbyterian Church 1891 Steeple Bell image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
4. Independent Presbyterian Church 1891 Steeple Bell
Placed in the garden
Independent Presbyterian Church 1891 Steeple Bell image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
5. Independent Presbyterian Church 1891 Steeple Bell
Independent Presbyterian Church image. Click for more information.
Historic American Buildings Survey, 1936
6. Independent Presbyterian Church
Historic American Engineering Record HABS GA,26-SAV,3-4
Click for more information.
Independent Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, March 10, 2013
7. Independent Presbyterian Church Marker
Independent Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Postcard by Coastal New Co., circa 1925
8. Independent Presbyterian Church Marker
The back of the postcard reads:This beautiful old church, the Independent Presbyterian Church of Savannah, was designed by James Gibbs and is a copy of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, London. It was chartered in 1775 by George II and the church structure was erected in 1819. President Wilson married his first wife in the manse in 1885.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,782 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 18, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   6. submitted on June 11, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   7. submitted on March 11, 2013, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina.   8. submitted on February 15, 2015. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement