Searsport in Waldo County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
Liberty Tree Memorial
The American Liberty elm was named after "The Liberty Tree": Our Country's first Symbol of Freedom. On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the hated Stamp Act. From that day forward, that elm became known as the "Liberty Tree". For the next ten years, it stood in silent witness to countless meetings, speeches and celebrations, and often served as the rallying place for the Sons of Liberty. In August of 1775, as a last act of violence prior to their evacuation of Boston, British soldiers cut it down because it bore the name "Liberty".
Erected by Elm Research Institute.
Location. 44° 27.529′ N, 68° 55.469′ W. Marker is in Searsport, Maine, in Waldo County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 1) and Elm Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 43 East Main Street, Searsport ME 04974, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least Civil War Soldiers' Monument (a few steps from this marker); Main Street, 1875 (within shouting distance of this marker); Making a Living (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter Ward, Ship Carpenter (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Union Hall (about 400 feet away); Early Banking (about 500 feet away); Raising the Flag (about 500 feet away); The Growth of Ship Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Searsport.
Also see . . .
1. America Must Remember Boston's Liberty Tree. (Submitted on May 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Elm Research Institute. (Submitted on May 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Disasters • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Liberty Tree Memorial.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 13, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.