Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Winnabow in Brunswick County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Brunswick Town State Historic Site

 
 
Brunswick Town State Historic Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
1. Brunswick Town State Historic Site Marker
Inscription. Brunswick Town State Historic Site was established on land donated to the State of North Carolina in December, 1952, by James Laurence Sprunt and his four sons, James Laurence Sprunt, Jr., Kenneth Murchison Sprunt, Samuel Nash Sprunt, and Laurence Gray Sprunt. The 114.5-acre tract, formerly part of Orton Plantation, constitutes the entire site except for 5.25 acres donated by the Episcopal Diocese of East Carolina which includes the ruins of Old St. Philips church.

In grateful recognition of these generous and public-spirited gifts to the people of the State of North Carolina the Department of Archives and History has erected this plaque, June 30, 1972.
 
Erected 1972 by Department of Archives and History.
 
Location. 34° 2.388′ N, 77° 56.778′ W. Marker is near Winnabow, North Carolina, in Brunswick County. Marker is on St. Philips Road east of River Road (North Carolina Highway 133). Touch for map. Follow the signs on River Road. Take Plantation Road to St. Philips Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8884 Saint Philips Rd SE, Winnabow NC 28479, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); John LaPierre
Fort Anderson Earthworks (Civil War) image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
2. Fort Anderson Earthworks (Civil War)
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Maurice Moore (within shouting distance of this marker); Russelborough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russellborough (approx. 0.4 miles away); Orton Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away); St. Philips Church (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winnabow.
 
More about this marker. It is on the wall of the visitorís center.
 
Also see . . .  Brunswick Town / Fort Anderson. “A major pre-Revolutionary port on North Carolinaís Cape Fear River, Brunswick was razed by British troops in 1776 and never rebuilt. During the Civil War, Fort Anderson was constructed atop the old village site. Colonial foundations dot the present-day tour trail, which crosses the earthworks of the Confederate fort. This serene riverside setting, colonial and Civil War history, and colorful exhibits will be long remembered by visitors. ” (Submitted on February 19, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Ruins of Old St. Philips Church (Colonial) image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
3. Ruins of Old St. Philips Church (Colonial)
View of the Cape Fear River From Where the Town Stood image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, January 15, 2008
4. View of the Cape Fear River From Where the Town Stood
Map of Present-Day Historic Site image. Click for full size.
5. Map of Present-Day Historic Site
An 11" x 14" copy of this map is available at at the visitorís center. Click on this image to enlarge.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,009 times since then and 160 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   5. submitted on August 12, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of the visitorís center showing the marker. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement