Palmyra in Marion County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Palmyra, founded in 1819, was for many years the northernmost town on the Salt River Trail from St. Charles to the Des Moines River. A Federal Land Office for the Salt River area located here, 1824 – 58, led all others in the state in the sale of public land. In 1827 Palmyra became the seat of a newly organized county named for Revolutionary General Francis Marion.
On the Mississippi near here is the site of Marion City, laid out, 1835, by promoter William Muldrow. His wide sale of lots in the East resulted in an immigration called the “Eastern Run.” Development of the new town was stopped by Mississippi floods.
Muldrow also laid out Philadelphia, west of Palmyra, where Presbyterian minister David Nelson had founded Marion College, the first Protestant college chartered in Missouri, 1831. Eastern funds and teachers gave the school early fame, but, in time, it closed for lack of money. In 1842 the Masonic Grand Lodge of Missouri bought it, renamed it Masonic College, and moved it to Lexington, MO. in 1847. In Palmyra was St. Paulís (Episcopal) College, opened, 1848.
Palmyra, called the “Handsomest City in North Missouri” by 1860, was settled largely by Southerners on land ceded by the U.S. by Iowa, Sauk, and Fox tribes, 1824. First white settler
In a noted trial here in 1841 the Illinois abolitionists George Thompson, James Burr, and Alanson Work were sent to prison for attempting to entice slaves to run away.
A monument at the courthouse honors victims of the infamous Palmyra Massacre of October 18, 1862. By order of Union Col. John McNeil, 10 Confederate prisoners were shot when Confederate Col. John C. Porter could not return a captured pro-Union civilian.
Here lived T.B. Anderson, pioneer lawyer; Jacob Sosey, founder of the “Spectator,” 1839, oldest family-owned paper in Missouri; and World War I General W.P. Jackson. In local cemeteries lie W.H. Russell, founder of the Pony Express, and George “Pegleg” Shannon, member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Erected 1955 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 39° 47.958′ N, 91° 31.396′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, Missouri, in Marion County. Marker is on South Main Street, on the right Touch for map. Marker is in front of Marion County Court House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Main Street, Palmyra MO 63461, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George Shannon (here, next to this marker); Palmyra Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Palmyra Massacre (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Potawatomi Emigration (approx. ľ mile away); His Friends Rest Here (approx. 10.3 miles away in Illinois); A Victorian Cemetery (approx. 10.3 miles away in Illinois); Huck Finnís Home (was approx. 10.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Jail in "Tom Sawyer" (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmyra.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 411 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 15, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.