Nauvoo in Hancock County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Red Brick Store
On the second floor was a small office for Joseph Smith and a large meeting room. Council meetings were held there as were Masonic Lodge meetings and the organizational meetings of the “Female Relief Society” with Emma Smith as president. Also in this room, “Endowments” as later practiced in the Nauvoo Temple were introduced and Joseph Smith III (son of Joseph Smith Jr. and church president and prophet from 1860 to 1914) was designated by his father as his successor. By the fall of 1860 the Olive Branch, an early congregation of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now Community of Christ) was meeting on the second floor.
By 1890 the building had deteriorated to the point that it was town down. It was reconstructed on the original site and open to the public in April 1980.
Erected 2003 by Community of Christ.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mormon Pioneer Trail marker series.
Location. 40° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 Water Street, Nauvoo IL 62354, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nauvoo Survey Stone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Homestead (about 400 feet away); Mansion House (about 500 feet away); Bidamon Stable (about 500 feet away); Nauvoo House (about 500 feet away); Nauvoo, Illinois (approx. 0.4 miles away); Exodus to Greatness (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eyes Westward (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nauvoo.
Also see . . . The Red Brick Store. Joseph Smith Historic Site (Submitted on May 18, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 327 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.