27 Christopher Street
1911 Constructed as the Margaret and Sarah Switzer Institute for Vocational Training of Women
1926 Purchased by St. Joseph's Parish for elementary school
1977 Site of the School of Nursing of St. Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York
Presented with gratitude and in recognition of the mutual values and ideals of St. Vincent's Hospital and Switzer Foundation May 1979
The New York Foundling Hospital was founded in 1869 to stem the tide of infanticide in New York City. Throughout the years the mission of the Sisters of Charity has been the protection and well being of children. Building upon and preserving the mission of the Foundling and expanding upon the Foundling's unique past, the Dr. Vincent J. Fontana Center for Child Protection was created to provide a beacon of hope for abused, neglected and abandoned children throughout the nation. November 19, 2002
Location. 40° 44.034′ N, 74° 0.07′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Christopher Street and Waverly Place, on the right when traveling west on Christopher Street. Touch for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ephraim Ellsworth and the New York Fire Zouaves (within shouting distance of this marker); Stonewall Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Philip Henry Sheridan (about 300 feet away); Gay Liberation Monument (about 300 feet away); Edwin Arlington Robinson (about 300 feet away); Christopher Park (about 400 feet away); Jefferson Market Garden (about 500 feet away); Samuel Whittemore House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 19, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 511 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 19, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.