Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Highland Park in Lake County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Sheridan

Centennial Legacy Statue

 

1887 – 1987

 
Fort Sheridan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 23, 2012
1. Fort Sheridan Marker
Inscription. General Philip H. Sheridan
Astride his mount "Rienzi" at the height of the Battle of Five Forks in April, 1865, where he inspired his troop by riding back and forth in front of them (and the enemy) carrying his unit's guidon and rallying them to victory.
 
Erected 1990 by the McCormick Trust, Association of the U.S. Army, community and Friends of Fort Sheridan, Illinois.
 
Location. 42° 13.007′ N, 87° 48.962′ W. Marker is in Highland Park, Illinois, in Lake County. Marker is on Leonard Wood West, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is near the flag pole. Marker is in this post office area: Highland Park IL 60035, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Sheridan (a few steps from this marker); The Water Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the First Public Building (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Francis Stupey Log Cabin (approx. 2.5 miles away); The Dwyer Settlement in Lake County, Illinois (approx. 5.1 miles away); Adlai Ewing Stevenson II
Fort Sheridan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 23, 2012
2. Fort Sheridan Marker
(approx. 5.7 miles away); The Rondout Train Robbery (approx. 6.1 miles away); "Brick Row" (approx. 6.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Highland Park.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
Fort Sheridan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 23, 2012
3. Fort Sheridan Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement