Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of 1702
This battle was a prelude to Queen Anne’s War and the first blow for control of the Mississippi valley by the English. It ended the advance of the Spaniards up the Chattahoochee and Flint valleys and France’s ambitions in Alabama.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 043-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 54.746′ N, 84° 34.038′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of Albany Road (Georgia Route 97) and Carter Street, on the right when traveling north on Albany Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tonge Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of 1702 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hutto School (approx. half a mile away); First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute / Union Normal School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Hughes (approx. 0.6 miles away); De Soto Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Bainbridge Volunteers (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
More about this marker. The text is identical to the nearby Historic Chattahoochee Commission Marker of the same title.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.