Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Tonge Factory
The Tonge Factory, owned by S. D. Tonge, stood on the South bank of the Flint river one-fourth mile West of here. The cloth produced by this plant was used by the women of Bainbridge to make uniforms for the Confederate soldiers of Decatur county. The factory also supplied the county’s needy with cotton yarn during the critical period of the War Between the States. In July, 1864, Mr. Tonge gave the Macon Hospital enough cotton to produce 1,200 mattresses for the comfort of the sick and wounded Confederate soldiers sent to Macon from battle areas.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 043-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 30° 54.758′ N, 84° 34.024′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is on Albany Road (Georgia Route 97) 0 miles north of Carter Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of 1702 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of 1702 Hutto School (approx. half a mile away); First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute / Union Normal School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Hughes (approx. 0.7 miles away); De Soto Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Bainbridge Volunteers (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 25, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on May 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.