Leonard Iron Mine
1696 - 1802
The ore dug at this site called bog iron, was found in the swamp and brook. The Leonards hauled the ore off in ox carts to their forge at Chartly village in Norton where it was rendered into iron products.
In 1720, when the town relocated Tremont Street, the Leonards were allowed to remove any ore found beneath the new road as long as the bridge and its causeway over the mine brook were not damaged.
Erected by Rehoboth Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 54.138′ N, 71° 15.445′ W. Marker is in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Tremont St, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rehoboth MA 02769, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cole-Perry Turning Mill (approx. one mile away); Indian Oven Rock (approx. 1.7 miles away); LaSalette Seminary (approx. 1.9 miles away); Solomon Family Burial Ground (approx. 2½ miles away); Last Wooden Bridge
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 545 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.