Canadian in Hemphill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1803 - 1862
—County named for Texas Confederate —
On the eve of secession, U.S. Senator Hemphill set forth to Senate January 1861 Texas' right to secede and again became a sovereign nation. Elected delegate provisional Confederate Congress at Montgomery, Alabama which drafted the new nation's constitution, mobilized manpower, set up financial structure, elected political leaders. Died in Richmond, Virginia, Confederate capital.
A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy
In the Civil War
1861 - 1865
Texas made an all-out effort for the Confederacy after a 3 to 1 popular vote for secession. 90,000 troops, famous for daring and mobility, fought on every battlefront. A 2000 mile frontier and coastline was successfully defended from Union troops and savage Indians. State and private industry produced war goods. Cotton – life blood of south traded with Mexico for medicine and military supplies. Texas was store house of western confederacy. Citizens made sacrifices to produce food and clothing for Texas fighting men.
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2788.)
Location. 35° 54.781′ N, 100° 22.964′ W. Touch for map. Marker is between South 4th and 5th Streets at the Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Canadian TX 79014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. R. Dick Bussell (here, next to this marker); Hemphill County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); W.C.T.U. Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Jones Mansion (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Church Bell (about 700 feet away); First National Bank of Canadian (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Canadian (approx. 0.2 miles away); Moody Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canadian.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on April 6, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5. submitted on April 7, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.