Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Canadian in Hemphill County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Route of Marcy Trail

 
 
Route of Marcy Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
1. Route of Marcy Trail Marker
Inscription. This overland route, blazed in 1849 by energetic and efficient Army Captain R. B. Marcy, was best known as part of the California Gold Trail. Starting in Oklahoma, Marcy led an expedition across the Texas Panhandle and back through central West Texas. Both of the wagon roads he laid out served the emigrant traffic.

In 1853, this section was planned as part of the route for the first transcontinental railroad in America, but the Civil War shifted sentiment to northern routes. Its importance declined after the railroad came through this county, 1887.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4369.)
 
Location. 35° 48.157′ N, 100° 24.655′ W. Marker is near Canadian, Texas, in Hemphill County. Marker is on U.S. 60 half a mile west of U.S. 83, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canadian TX 79014, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Trails (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gen. Nelson Miles Expedition (approx. 5.8 miles away); Mary B. Isaacs (approx. 7.5 miles away); First Church Bell
Route of Marcy Trail Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 2, 2012
2. Route of Marcy Trail Marker
(approx. 7.7 miles away); First Baptist Church of Canadian (approx. 7.7 miles away); Jones Mansion (approx. 7.7 miles away); Hemphill County Jail (approx. 7.8 miles away); W.C.T.U. Building (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canadian.
 
Categories. Roads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 335 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement