Rochester in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Industry Along the Banks
—Stories of Beaver County & its Rivers —
The businesses and factories set up between Water and Railroad Streets in Rochester manufactured a wide range of goods:
(1)Wm. Miller & Sons Lumber Yard & Planing Mill 1875 - 1912
Provided all types of lumber including fine woods used in interiors of many grand buildings and homes in the region.
(2)Olive Stove Works c.1872
Produced coal and gas stoves, ranges for cooking and heating. Also created castings for many area glass companies.
Makers of fire bricks and bricks for paving and building. Originally built by Miller and Sons to produce crockery ware.
(4)Rochester Roller Flour Mill 1883 - 1914
Produced various baking flours and feed.
(5)Beaver Valley Brewing Co. 1903
(large building still standing) Produced Yale Export Ale and Porter. Later housed bowling lanes.
(6)The Rochester Cut Glass Company 1896 - 1922
Produced cut glass items: tumblers, stemware and bowls.
Located at the point where the Ohio and Beaver rivers meet. Manufactured glass items including medicine bottles, liquor bottles, flasks and fruit jars - up to 180,000 bottles per day.
Superior Coffin and Burial Casket Works c. 1876
Offered a variety of coffins and caskets. Their most expensive model was the walnut "Rochester Casket" for 17 dollars.
In the late 1800s, a variety of businesses were located along the rivers in Rochester - it was the main part of town in that time.
Images left to right, Top:
Advertisement for an Olive stove; the Olive Stove Works building; Middle: Beaver Valley Brewing sign; the Beaver Valley Brewing plant (note the tower section, now gone); Bottom: Riverside Carriage advertisement; Rochester Flour Mill promotional image; advertisement for Miller Lumber Yard. Right: Early view of Water Street in Rochester, in the background, the ferry landing in Monaca can be seen. (Notice the carriage in the foreground.)
Another, smaller hotel - the St. James - was also located on Water Street (past the Brewery site). The hotel, once known as the Pavilion, operated under various names between 1848 and 1937. Early advertisements boast "the place to meet old friends. It is a home as well as a hotel." The St. James offered a large "up-to-date" bar, stables for horses, and "sheds" to store automobiles. In 1910, a room at the St. James could be had for just one dollar per day!
Location. 40° 41.897′ N, 80° 17.079′ W. Marker is in Rochester, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is on Water Street west of Harrison Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This historic marker is located in a community park, along the Ohio River north shore line, near the east side of the mouth of the Beaver River. Marker is in this post office area: Rochester PA 15074, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Always A River 1991 (here, next to this marker); About River Transit ... (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis and Clark (about 700 feet away); Spanning the Waters (about 700 feet away); Logans Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rochester Lodge Number 229 (approx. 0.2 miles away); H.C. Fry Glass Company (approx. ¼ mile away); Make Way for the Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rochester.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 2, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.