Waterford in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Waterford - An Old Mill Town
The rich soil and well-managed farms brought growth and prosperity to the Waterford area until the devastation of the Civil War. Pacifist Quakers and many like-minded neighbors remained loyal to the Union and endured repeated Confederate harassment. When rebels stripped the mill of grain and flour, owner Samuel Means raised a cavalry unit - The Loudoun Rangers - to fight for the Union. Waterford never fully recovered from the economic and social damage of the war. It steadily declined as the commercial hub for area farms.
Finally after the Great Depression of the 1930s, new life began to stur. Waterford's rural setting and historic character attracted newcommers from the expanding Washington area. People with vision began to restore dilapidated structures and preserve the old fabric of the community. In 1970 Waterford and surrounding
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 39° 11.427′ N, 77° 36.849′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Wheatland Road (County Route 698) and Bond Street, on the right when traveling east on Old Wheatland Road. Touch for map. Located on a out-deck of the Waterford Mill. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford VA 20197, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Waterford Mill (a few steps from this marker); How it Works (a few steps from this marker); Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers (within shouting distance of this marker); Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tin Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waterford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterford Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fairfax Meeting of Friends (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
More about this marker. On the left are two illustrations:
"Mr. J. Walker's Estate" The mill, mill stables (no longer standing), old ice house and the house
Head Race, 1894 Portions of the local head race, originally constructed in 1762, are still visible as you look south of the mill. The first mill on this site, built by Amos Janney in 1741, was probably located about one hundred feet southwest on the opposite bank of the north fork of the Catoctin Creek.
Also see . . .
1. Walking Tour of Old Waterford. The mill is one of many stops in this well preserved historic district. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. History of Waterford. Several articles on the history of Waterford. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Waterford National Register Application. (PDF) Provides detailed information about the Waterford Historic District. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. From Mill Town to National Historic Landmark. National Park Service page detailing the historic site. Many photographs and illustrations comparing the town as it existed in the 19th century and it appears today. (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
5. State Board Upholds Waterford's Historic Listing. The status of the Historic District was challenged recently. When asked if Waterford should remain on the National and State Registers, a state official said, "Not (Submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,159 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on February 22, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 16, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.