Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canyon in Randall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of an Early Barbed Wire Fence in the Panhandle

 
 
Site of an <b>Early Barbed Wire Fence</b> in the Panhandle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
1. Site of an Early Barbed Wire Fence in the Panhandle Marker
Inscription. In the latter 1880's, when fencing was needed in the treeless Texas Panhandle, the solution proved to be barbed wire. Joseph F. Glidden of Illinois devised and by 1876 was manufacturing (with I.L. Ellwood) the first really practical barbed wire on the market. H.B. Sanborn was sent to Texas as their agent, and remained to become a builder of the Panhandle.

Wanting free access to water and grass, ranchers at first resisted fencing. Cowboys disliked it, as fewer range riders were needed on fenced lands. The old-timers grew bitter, because of blocked trails—herds had to be hauled rather than driven to market.

Yet, newcomers wanted fencing, in order to have use of land purchased for ranching. Merchants and city-builders wanted fences, to assure settlement.

The T-Anchor, owned by Jot Gunter and Wm. B. Munson, real estate investors of Grayson County, built a line fence on this site in 1881, enclosing a 240,000-acre horse pasture. Also, built in this area, by popular subscription, was a “drift” fence to hold cattle back from wandering south in blue northers and blizzards.

Barbed wire gradually came into general use. It saved the cattle industry, because improvements in breeding and feeding were possible on fenced ranges.
 
Erected 1968 by
Site of an <b>Early Barbed Wire Fence</b> in the Panhandle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
2. Site of an Early Barbed Wire Fence in the Panhandle Marker
Early Barbed Wire Fence Marker is on the far left.
State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4921.)
 
Location. 34° 58.793′ N, 101° 54.322′ W. Marker is in Canyon, Texas, in Randall County. Marker is on 4th Avenue (State Highway 217) 0.2 miles west of Russell Long Boulevard (State Highway 48 Spur), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canyon TX 79015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Co. F, 2nd Bn., 142nd Inf., 36th Div., Texas National Guard ( here, next to this marker); Georgia O'Keeffe in Canyon ( approx. 0.6 miles away); T-Anchor Ranch ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Buffalo Courts ( approx. 0.6 miles away); The Charles Goodnight Memorial Trail ( approx. 0.7 miles away); First National Bank ( approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary E. Hudspeth House ( approx. one mile away); First Methodist Church ( approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canyon.
 
Categories. AgricultureAnimals
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement