Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Barcroft Community House

 
 
Barcroft Community House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
1. Barcroft Community House Marker
hopefully someone will trim the trees soon so you can read this marker!
Inscription. The Barcroft Community house was constructed in 1908 as a branch chapel of the Methodist church. It was sold in 1914 to the neighborhood civic association, the Barcroft School and Civic League. The building served as the Barcroft neighborhood public school from 1908 until 1925. It was a one-room schoolhouse until the 1913 rear addition allowed for a second schoolroom. The front porch, indoor stage and plumbing were added after 1925. The Barcroft School and Civic League continues to own and use the Community House for neighborhood activities and meetings. In 1995, the site was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1999 by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 51.577′ N, 77° 6.607′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Buchanan Street and 8th Street South, on the right when traveling south on South Buchanan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 800 S. Buchanan Street, Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barcroft (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Arlington Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington's Survey Marker
Barcroft Community House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
2. Barcroft Community House Marker
The Community House is barely visible behind the trees in this photo.
(was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Southwest No. 6 Boundary Marker (approx. mile away); Carlin Springs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wright Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Ball House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Ball-Carlin Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .  Barcroft Community House webpage. (Submitted on June 16, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
Barcroft Community House image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
3. Barcroft Community House
Entrance to Barcroft Community House image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 21, 2013
4. Entrance to Barcroft Community House
The plaque indicating that this is a designated Arlington County Historic Landmark is to the right of the entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 21, 2013, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement