Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

George Nicholas Saegmuller

1847-1934

 
 
George Nicholas Saegmuller Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 1, 2017
1. George Nicholas Saegmuller Marker
Inscription. Saegmuller, a native of Germany, came to America at 23 and achieved success as an inventor and manufacturer of scientific instruments. He lived here at Reserve Hill, the home of his parents-in-law, the Vandenbergs, and contributed in many ways to the development of this part of the county. He advanced funds in 1890 for a much-needed school which was named in his honor and which was replaced in 1937 by James Madison School. He was chairman of the County Board of Supervisors and was influential in locating the County Court House at its present site in 1898. He completed construction of this mansion in 1903. Its stone water tower is a replica of a tower in the walls of Nuremberg.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 54.325′ N, 77° 8.443′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Little Falls Road and North Florida Sreet, on the right when traveling west on North Little Falls Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5115 N Little Falls Rd, Arlington VA 22207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Saegmuller House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Little Falls Road
George Nicholas Saegmuller Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, June 17, 2012
2. George Nicholas Saegmuller Marker
(about 800 feet away); Minor's Hill (approx. one mile away); Birchwood (approx. one mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone NW 1 (approx. one mile away); Wunder's Crossroads (approx. one mile away); Chesterbrook (approx. 1.3 miles away); Walker Chapel (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Also see . . .  more information on George N. Saegmuller. (Submitted on June 18, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkIndustry & CommercePoliticsScience & Medicine
 
George Nicholas Saegmuller Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 1, 2017
3. George Nicholas Saegmuller Marker
This view is towards the north across North Little Falls Road.
George Nicholas Saegmuller's mansion image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, June 17, 2012
4. George Nicholas Saegmuller's mansion
George Nicholas Saegmuller Mansion image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, June 17, 2012
5. George Nicholas Saegmuller Mansion
The mansion is now owned and maintained by the Knights of Columbus.
George Nicholas Saegmuller Mansion image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, October 1, 2017
6. George Nicholas Saegmuller Mansion
The monument on the right is dedicated to the deceased members of the Edward Douglass White Council No. 1473 of the Knights of Columbus.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 18, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 171 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 2, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   2. submitted on June 18, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   3. submitted on October 2, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4, 5. submitted on June 18, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   6. submitted on October 2, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement