Concord in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Francisco Galindo Home
Built in 1856
Erected by Concord Historical Society.
Location. 37° 58.403′ N, 122° 2.081′ W. Marker is in Concord, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker can be reached from Amador Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The house and marker are located at the intersection of Amador Avenue and Marina Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1721 Amador Avenue, Concord CA 94520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dedicated to the Founders of Todos Santos (approx. ¼ mile away); Perry House (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Fire Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Bibber House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Neustaedter House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Alves House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Barnett House (approx. half a mile away); Bolla House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concord.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the exterior wall on the east side of the Galindo home.
Regarding Francisco Galindo Home.
This house was built in 1856 for Don Francisco Galindo and his wife Maria
Salvio Pacheco was the original grantee of 17,921-acre Rancho Monte del Diablo, which included the area that is now Concord, California. Salvio and his son Fernando Pacheco together with son-in-law Francisco Galindo are considered the founders of Concord.
In 1880 Juan “John” Galindo, the oldest son of Francisco Galindo, moved into the home with his bride, “Sarah” (Amador). They enlarged it from six to ten rooms. After their eldest child Frederick married Catherine (Hittman) Galindo in 1911, title was transferred to this next generation. Following the death of Catherine Galindo in 1966, the house continued to be the home of her children, Harold, Ruth and Leonora. Ruth Galindo was the last direct descendant and resided in the home until her death in December 1999. Ruth deeded her home and property of approximately 1.5 acres to the City of Concord to be preserved as a house museum. In 2011 the Concord Historical Society assumed ownership of the home and began restoration with the goal of opening the home to the public in 2012.
The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The resolution reads: “Thanks to the Galindo family’s continuous occupancy and [its] diligent preservation of the property’s historical fabric, Concord has a priceless cultural asset.”
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John Keibel of Concord, California. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2012, by John Keibel of Concord, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.