Near Somerset in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Rock Baptist Church
Site for meetinghouse and cemetery (2.5 acres here) was bought for ten dollars in 1867 by committeemen F.M. Avent, Elisha A. Briggs, and W.D. Johnson on behalf of Medina Church. This committee also drew the plans; Briggs, a settler from Massachusetts and a stonemason, did much of the construction. Worship began here in 1869 as soon as house had roof and walls—although door and window spaces were empty and there was no floor except bare ground. In those early days, four ordained ministers took turns as unpaid pastors. Avent was clerk and sexton. Medina Church membership was racially integrated. Some of the Negro members lie buried in honored graves in the cemetery.
In 1892 Medina Church relocated at Bexar. Cemetery maintenance was continued here; "Old Rock" was used at times for funerals or worship. In 1921, after local petroleum discoveries, Grayburg Oil Company and some of its employees helped renovate the meetinghouse. Congregation renamed itself for the Old Rock Church and regular worship has continued here ever since.
Location. 29° 11.45′ N, 98° 40.82′ W. Marker is near Somerset, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is on Old Rock Road 0.3 miles south of Roseville Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Somerset TX 78069, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Benton City Cemetery (approx. 6.2 miles away); Rossville Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away); Rossville (approx. 7.3 miles away); Lytle Methodist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); Atascosa Lodge No. 379, A.F. and A.M. (approx. 7.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Lytle (approx. 8.2 miles away); Anchorage Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away); Sand Branch Baptist Church (approx. 10 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 589 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.