Near Leming in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
For many years the cemetery was associated with an adjacent schoolhouse that also was used for Baptist church services. The log cabin, built in 1868, served the Baptist Church until the congregation built its own sanctuary in 1898. The Shiloh community also was served until the end of the nineteenth century by a general store that was operated by Robert M. Long.
Many of the graves in the Shiloh Cemetery date from the 1800s. Some of the family names appearing on the tombstones include Kennard, Williams, McAda, Cavender, Black, Young, Musgrave, May, Coble, and Johnson. Many of the descendants of these pioneer families still live in the area.
The Shiloh Cemetery, which contains both marked and unmarked grave sites, is cared for by the Shiloh Cemetery Association.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4681.)
Location. 29° 4.043′ N, 98° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poteet TX 78065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Medina (approx. 3.2 miles away); Brite Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Poteet (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site of San Augustine Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Cooper Chapter No. 101, Royal Arch Masons (approx. 7 miles away); Verdi (approx. 7 miles away); Pleasanton School Integration (approx. 7.2 miles away); Pleasanton City Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leming.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.