Near Poteet in Atascosa County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Thomas and Mary Jane married in the early 1880s, and in 1896 they deeded land for a church and cemetery to serve the communities of Anchorage and Rossville (2 mi. NE). The oldest marked graves, for Mary Allen Stiggins and Annie Theresa Farran, both date to 1896. The Whittets’ general store served as the Anchorage Post Office from 1889 to 1935. Mary Jane practiced medicine throughout the area and delivered many babies, including all nine children in the J.M. Rogers family.
George Bopp, Jr. (1924-1945), a World War II casualty, is buried here. A frame church stood until 1958, replaced by a cinder block building on the same site. By 1979, the congregation was inactive, and the property was deeded to the Anchorage Cemetery Association, which maintains this burial ground and chapel.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical
Location. 29° 4.08′ N, 98° 42.53′ W. Marker is near Poteet, Texas, in Atascosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Route 2504 and Brooks Lane, on the left when traveling north on Route 2504. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Poteet TX 78065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rossville Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Rossville (approx. 1.9 miles away); Sand Branch Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Jose Antonio Navarro Ranch Headquarters (approx. 3.7 miles away); Amphion and Amphion Cemetery (approx. 6.6 miles away); Poteet (approx. 8.3 miles away); Old Rock Baptist Church (approx. 8.7 miles away); Benton City Cemetery (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Poteet.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2012, by John A Hensarling of Campbellton, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.