Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker

 
 
Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 3, 2012
1. Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker Marker
Inscription. The U.S. Government erected 40 sandstone markers on the boundaries of the District of Columbia in 1791 and 1792. The boundary survey was initiated by President George Washington and executed by Andrew Ellicott, who became Surveyor General of the United States, and black freeman astronomer Benjamin Banneker. The donation of land from Virginia and Maryland fulfilled Article I, Section 8, Clause 12 of the U.S. Constitution, which set aside 10 mile square for the nationís capital. This stone marked the jurisdiction of the U.S. and that of Virginia. In 1846, Congress returned the land Virginia had donated.
 
Erected 2005 by Arlington County, Virginia, donated by the Arlington County Fair.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Original Federal Boundary Stones marker series.
 
Location. 38° 52.36′ N, 77° 8.76′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Wilson Boulevard and Patrick Henry Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located within the Patrick Henry Apartments complex. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22205, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this
Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 3, 2012
2. Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker Marker
marker. Fort Buffalo (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fairfax Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Outpost (approx. 0.6 miles away); Taylorís Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away); Falls Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tracks into History (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Taylorís Tavern (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Great Falls Line (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
3. Southwest No. 8 Boundary Marker
Close-up of Boundary Stone with DAR plaque image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, July 3, 2012
4. Close-up of Boundary Stone with DAR plaque
Southwest No. 8 Boundary Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
5. Southwest No. 8 Boundary Stone
SW 8 Boundary Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
6. SW 8 Boundary Stone
Jurisdiction of the United States
8 Miles
Visible Inscriptions image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne
7. Visible Inscriptions
This diagram of the inscriptions on the West Boundary Stone appears in the National Register Form prepared by Barbara Hynak of the District V Markers Committee, Virginia Daughters of the Revolution.
Rededication - 2000 image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
8. Rededication - 2000
Rededication of
SW8 boundary stone
repositioned and fenced
Washington-Lee Society,
C.A.R.
11/19/00
Original Federal Boundary Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 13, 2014
9. Original Federal Boundary Marker
Original Federal
Boundary Stone
District of Columbia
Placed 1791 -1792
Dr Elisha Dick Chapter
DAR
1950
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 540 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   3. submitted on April 15, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   4. submitted on July 4, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 15, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement