Lisbon in Howard County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Servicing Travelers on the National Pike
Shortened to “Lisbon” in 1805, the town thrived, and by 1835, there were eight daily stagecoaches stopping at the old Stage Coach House, where horses were exchanged and food and lodging were provided. A fare on the stage line from Baltimore to Frederick was $2.00.
Both the Stage Coach House and Mr. Pancoast’s House have fallen victim to time and are no longer standing. But the two-story brick house across the road to your left is one of the many buildings still in existence along the Pike that have historical significance: over time it served as the Lisbon Female Seminary, a tollhouse for the Pike, and the home of Richard E. Coursey, village blacksmith and wheelwright.
Erected by America's Byways.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 20.109′ N, 77° 4.133′ W. Marker is in Lisbon, Maryland, in Howard County. Marker is on Historic National Touch for map. The marker is located in a park in front of the elementary school. Marker is in this post office area: Lisbon MD 21765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Simpson & Mount Gregory United Methodist Churches (approx. 1.8 miles away); Poplar Springs (approx. 2.1 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cooksville (approx. 2.8 miles away); a different marker also named Cooksville (approx. 2.8 miles away); Cooksville High School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Dr. Charles Alexander Warfield (approx. 3.4 miles away); Hood’s Mill (approx. 4.1 miles away).
More about this marker. In the lower right is a "Map of Lisbon c. 1860s. Then, as now, the "Female School" building still stands across the road from here.
In the lower center is a photo of a "Wagon tream in front of the Lisbon Stage Coach House, early 20th century."
On the lower right is a photo of "The Caleb Pancoast House stood until the 1950s. The hotel in the front of the house was added to serve travelers on the old National Pike, and still stands at the west end of town."
The background of the marker is "National Road at Fairview Inn" which is the standard for markers in this
Also see . . . New Lisbon. PDF version of the marker. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 5. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.