New Market in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A New Town for a New Road
New Market was soon a major stop on a public road. After 1805, the “all weather” Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike became the first leg of the National Road.
During the next three decades, over three million travelers used the road. They paid 25 cents for lodging and 5 cents for a whiskey at eight New Market hotels and taverns. Today, this historic village still welcomes travelers to antique shops, restaurants and a small general store, where you can still pick up provisions.
Erected by America's Byways.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 22.972′ N, 77° 16.23′ W. Marker is in New Market, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on Main Street (Maryland Route 144) west of Prospect Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8 West Main Street, New Market MD 21774, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Market in the Civil War (a few steps from this marker); 13 West Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 9 West Main Street (a few steps from this marker); 5 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 3 West Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named New Market (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named New Market in the Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away); Mile Stones of the old National Pike (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Market.
More about this marker. On the lower left is a facsimile of a newspaper clipping, In 1787, Nicholas Hall tired to sell lots fronting a wide road in the "Town to be called New Market," each for "three pound currency money.
In the lower center is a photograph of one of the hotels: During the 1800s, New Market was noted for its many fine hotels. The still-thriving Utz Hotel, photographed around 1900, faced the National Hotel across the street. Today, the Utz survives as Mealey’s Restaurant,
In the lower right a photo of a horse buggy is captioned, The Post Office was located in the old National Hotel across the road at #5 Main Street, circa 1890.The background of the marker is "National Road at Fairview Inn" which is the standard for markers in this series. An elevation diagram of the national road is displayed on the bottom of the marker's face.
Also see . . . New Market: A New Town for a New Road. PDF version of the marker. (Submitted on March 12, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 983 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 25, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.