Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Ashland Park / Olmsted Brothers In KY
In 1904, descendants of Henry Clay hired famed landscape architects, Frederick Law Olmsted Jr. and John Charles Olmsted, to design Ashland Park neighborhood on the 600-acre estate. Constructed over a 15-year period, development was completed around 1930. The brothers designed U.S. Capitol & White House grounds, and the Chicago World's Fair 1893.
Olmstead Brothers in Ky.
This landscape design firm from Brookline, Mass. helped design the park system in Louisville and the grounds of the Kentucky State Capitol in Frankfort. In Lexington, they consulted on the master plan for the University of Kentucky, Ashland Park & Transylvania Park neighborhoods and Woodland Park.
Erected 2009 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2305.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 2.038′ N, 84° 29.017′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of South Hanover Avenue and East Main Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 S Hanover Ave, Lexington KY 40502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Clay ( approx. 0.4 miles away); "Ashland" ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Madeline M. Breckinridge / Kentucky Suffrage Leader ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Ashland / Clay & Abraham Lincoln ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Civil War Action At "Ashland" ( approx. half a mile away); Lexington ( approx. 0.6 miles away); William S. Farish ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Robert A. Alexander ( approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Also see . . . Ashland Park. Historic early 20th century neighborhood in Lexington, Kentucky. (Submitted on July 15, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.