Summit Hall Farm Smokehouse
Although the exact date of construction is unknown, its history may be associated with a long list of prominent owners of Summit Hall or Zoar as it was originally known beginning with Baltus Fulks in 1773; Colonel Edward Burgess in 1783; Thomas Beall of George, wealthy merchant, land speculator and Mayor of Georgetown in 1799; Jacob Swamky in 1807; James DeSellum in 1828; Catherine and John DeSellum in 1847; I. T. Fulks in 1886; Frank and Nettie Wilmot in 1936 and the City of Gaithersburg in 1982.
Approximately 14 feet square, the building rests on a fieldstone base. The roof was originally covered with rough wood shakes which have been replaced with machine cut wooden shingles. The purlins and ridgepole have also been replaced with modern lumber and plywood sheathing. The short wide door on the east facade is made from three wide planks nailed to two interior
In 1990, the City of Gaithersburg commissioned Dell Corporation to make restoration repairs to this important historic landmark.
Location. 39° 7.992′ N, 77° 11.577′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on S Frederick Ave (Maryland Route 355). Touch for map. Located in Bohrer Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 506 S Frederick Ave, Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Summit Hall Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Gaithersburg (within shouting distance of this marker); DeSellum Family Cemetery (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); General Edward Braddock (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Meridian Mark Pier and Geodetic Survey Monuments (approx. 0.4 miles away); History and Purpose of the Gaithersburg Latitude Observatory
Categories. • Agriculture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 18, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.