Washburn in Bayfield County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Washburn Lumbering Days / The Hines Lumber Company
Washburn Lumbering Days
Washburn begins on the shoreline of Chequamegon Bay. The city rises gradually 75 ft. above level of the water. In 1884, the town was created, born of the necessity of the railway (Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha) which required not only ample depth of water at the docks, but sufficient flat land, able to handle its cars and shipping. The work of obtaining the town site began in 1883 (prior to that time a small lumber camp was the center of activities). The site consisted of 366 acres of pine growth. Clearing the land and building of docks and railroad commenced. The railroad pier extended 1,000 ft. into the water, with 500 ft. width, (the main dock was 500 ft. x 15 ft.). It was the most perfect harbor on Lake Superior.
Locations for lumber mills were selected. Messers. Cook and Co. (Muskegon, Michigan), constructed a sawmill in 1885, building up to cutting 200,000 ft. of lumber per day. In 1887, 110,000 ft. of lumber was sawed out by the three big mills in Washburn; Ackley, Sprague, and Thompson Co.ís which were later purchased by Sterns Lumber Co. and the mammoth A.A. Bigelow Co. Their docks were built on piles extending 800 ft. from land to 1,000 ft. into the water. These mills were still in operation in 1900, employing 1000 men. Bigelow Co. sold out
Lumber was shipped by railway and boat. Bigelow Co. owned a fleet of 6 boats. These mills shipped more board ft. of lumber then any port of all on Lake Superior. The lumbering industry boomed in the late 80ís and 90ís but the lumber co. had stripped much of the timber from the land by 1900. So the boom was over and the mills closed. Today, the Department of Natural Resources regulates the planting and cutting of trees so that future generation may reap the harvest of their rich heritage of timberlands.
The Hines Lumber Company
At this spot the Hines Lumber Company was located. It was previously the Bigelow Brothers Mills, but was purchased by Edward Hines in 1902. The purchase included 200,000 feet of stumpage, a logging railroad of 51 miles in length, and was the largest sawmill on Lake Superior.
He had a brilliant career
In 1897 he purchased the timber lands and mills near Ashland from Weyerhauser and Rutledge. In 1905 (June), he purchased the property of the White River Lumber Co. near Madison, WI. This deal involved a large sawmill, planing mill, 500,000,000 ft. of feet of timber and the entire town of Mason, at price of about $3,000,000. There were also purchases in Superior, WI, Duluth, MN., Park Falls and Hayward, WI.
In 1903 the Hines Co. owned the largest carrying fleet on the Great Lakes. In 1905 the company owned 20 steamers and barges, with a capacity of 15,000,000 ft. of lumber a trip.
It can be said the lumbering interests of the Edward Hines Lumber Co. extended from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border, and from Chicago to the Pacific Northwest representing large tracts of timber holdings, modern sawmill plants, as well as railroads.
Mr. Hines was born in Buffalo, N.Y., July 31, 1863, the eldest of seven children and the only son of Peter and Rose McGarry Hines. His parents moved to Chicago when he was two years old. There he attended the public school, after which he worked for about 18 months in a grocery store at $10.00 a month. He then began his lumber training in the humble capacity of tally
Location. 46° 40.012′ N, 90° 54.076′ W. Marker is in Washburn, Wisconsin, in Bayfield County. Marker can be reached from 6th Avenue West south of Lakeview Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located along the waterfront trail in Thompson's West End Park at the end of 6th Ave. Marker is in this post office area: Washburn WI 54891, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washburn Historic Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sprague Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bank of Washburn (approx. 0.6 miles away); Washburn, The Monolith City (approx. 0.7 miles away); Madeline Island (approx. 4 miles away); Schooner Lucerne (approx. 4.8 miles away); Fleet Admiral William D. Leahy (approx. 4.8 miles away); Doctor Edwin Ellis (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washburn.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 25, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.