Canajoharie in Montgomery County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Susan B. Anthony Taught Here 1846
50. Charles F. Wheelock, Prin.,
Erected 1940 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 42° 54.29′ N, 74° 34.407′ W. Marker is in Canajoharie, New York, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Otsego Street and Cliff Street, on the right when traveling north on Otsego Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3 Otsego Street, Canajoharie NY 13317, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Van Alstyne Homestead (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wagner Home (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Stone Arabia (approx. 2.8 miles away); Fort Plain Free Library (approx. 3.1 miles away); Fort Plain (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Plain (approx. 3.8 miles away); Clinton March (approx. 3.8 miles away); Revolution in the Mohawk Valley (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Regarding Canajoharie Academy. In 1846, at age 26, Susan B. Anthony accepted the position of head of the girls' department at Canajoharie
The Canajoharie Academy building, better known as the West Hill School, is a historic school building located at Canajoharie, Montgomery County, New York. It was designed in the Romanesque Revival style by prominent local architect Archimedes Russell (1890-1915) and built 1891-1893. It is a 3 1/2-story, stone masonry institutional building. It features a stone tower with open belfry containing the original school bell. It continued in educational use for over 100 years. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 11, 2002.
Categories. • Education • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 28, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 5. submitted on January 3, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.