Lake City in Columbia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Hopkins
Lieutenant-Colonel Theo. Brevard
Lieutenant-Colonel, John M. Martin
This monument erected
to perpetuate in loving memory
the 151 soldiers of the
Confederate Army who lost
their lives in the battle
at Olustee and who now
lie buried in Oaklawn Cemetery,
Lake City, Florida.
February 20th-Olustee Battle-1864
Bodies lie 10 blocks northwest-
from this monument
in Oaklawn Cemetery
Location. 30° 11.399′ N, 82° 38.214′ W. Marker is in Lake City, Florida, in Columbia County. Marker is on Marion Street (State Route 47) (U.S. 441) near NW Orange Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Located in the park at Columbia County Office. Marker is in this post office area: Lake City FL 32025, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alligator (a few steps from this marker); Apalachee Trail Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); Falling Creek Falls (approx. 5.1 miles away); A Bargaining Chip (approx. 5.1 miles away); Falling Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Florida’s Original Tourist Destination (approx. 12 miles away); Wars and Conflicts in White Springs (approx. 12 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake City.
Also see . . . The Battle of Olustee. or Battle of Ocean Pond was fought in Baker County, Florida on 20 February 1864, during the American Civil War. It was the largest battle fought in Florida during the war. ... (Submitted on August 9, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 31, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 687 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on August 9, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.