Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Catawba in Roanoke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Catawba Sanatorium

 
 
Catawba Sanatorium Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2012
1. Catawba Sanatorium Marker
Inscription. This institution, one mile northeast, stands on the site of the old Roanoke Red Sulpher Springs, which by 1859 was a noted summer resort. The Sanatorium was established by the General Assembly of Virginia in 1908 for the treatment of persons suffering from incipient tuberculosis. It opened its doors on July 30, 1909. The location was selected for its bracing and healthy climate.
 
Erected 1948 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number I-4.)
 
Location. 37° 22.912′ N, 80° 6.305′ W. Marker is in Catawba, Virginia, in Roanoke County. Marker is on Catawba Valley Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Catawba VA 24070, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Hanging Rock (approx. 5.1 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Hanging Rock (approx. 5.2 miles away); George Morgan Jones (approx. 5.2 miles away); United Daughters of the Confederacy Monuments (approx. 5.2 miles away); Hanging Rock Battlefield Trail (approx. 5.2 miles away); McCausland Attacks
Catawba Sanatorium Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2012
2. Catawba Sanatorium Marker
(approx. 5.2 miles away); The Hanging Rock Coal Trestle (approx. 5.2 miles away); Two Future Presidents In Wartime Retreat (approx. 5.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Origin of Catawba Hospital. (Submitted on August 11, 2012, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Roanoke Red: Natural Progression from Springs Resort to Institutional State Tuberculosis Hospital. This article, by Leah Stearns, has a bit more in depth history of how the Catawba Sanitorium came to be. (Submitted on August 11, 2012, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Science & Medicine
 
Catawba Hospital image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2012
3. Catawba Hospital
In 1972, Catawba Sanitorium became Catawba Hospital, part of the Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation (renamed to Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Servicesin 2009).
The Catawba Sanatorium (now Hospital) Administration Building image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2012
4. The Catawba Sanatorium (now Hospital) Administration Building
The brick administration building was constructed shortly after the Sanitorium was established and was the center of the sanatorium community into the 1940s.
The Chapel at Catawba Sanatorium image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., August 11, 2012
5. The Chapel at Catawba Sanatorium
On March 29, 1916, the Tuberculosis Committee of the State Board of Health requested the Chapel Committee to name the building the Charles E. Brauer Chapel.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2012, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 551 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 11, 2012, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement