Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Capitol Building
Erected 1936 by Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) and the United Daughters of the Confederacy (U.D.C.).
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 59.9′ N, 82° 24.483′ W. Marker is in Louisville, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Broad Street (Business U.S. 1) 0 miles east of Green Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Jefferson County Courthouse, built in 1904 on the foundations of the 1848 courthouse which had been built from materials of the original state capitol. Marker is in this post office area: Louisville GA 30434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia (here, next to this marker); Old State Capitol (a few steps from this marker); "Yazoo Fraud" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sacking of Louisville (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louisville, Georgia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rocky Comfort Creek (approx. 0.8 miles away); Crossing the Ogeechee River (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Ogeechee River (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Louisville.
Categories. • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.