Wrightsville in York County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Captain Thomas Cresap
Settled on these indian lands of
Conejohela in 1730
and held them for Lord Baltimore
against the Penn Proprietors
until 1736, when in the border war
he was burned out
of this log house or fort
near this marker toward the river
on his plantation "Pleasant Garden"
and carried prisoner
Erected 1924 by The Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Historical Society of York County.
Location. 39° 58.418′ N, 76° 29.651′ W. Marker is in Wrightsville, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Long Level Road PA 624 and Bank Hill Road, on the left when traveling north on Long Level Road PA 624. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wrightsville PA 17368, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cresap's Fort (a few steps from this marker); Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Susquehanna Canal (approx. 0.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); Washington Boro Archaeological Sites Great Minqua Path (approx. 1.9 miles away); Martin Chartier (approx. 2 miles away); 40th Parallel (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wrightsville.
Also see . . . Biography of Thomas Cresap. (Submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Notable Persons • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,459 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on July 25, 2011, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on March 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 4. submitted on February 25, 2010, by Dianne Bowders of York, PA.