Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Jacob Ruﬀ House, ca. 1829
This house is a fine example of the Valley Federal style with elegant detailing including the fanlight over the front door and a molded brick cornice. When the streets were lowered in 1851, the entrance was reoriented to the side. The Ruff Family had a hat factory next door in the early 1800s, but used this house as a showroom and living space. In 1850 John Ruff deeded the property to his son, Jacob Ruff, with permission to build a future house between the two properties. That may explain the curious cantilevered chimney on the north side of the building. If the house had been built, it could have shared this chimney. At the invitation of Jacob Ruff, then mayor, U.S. President Millard Fillmore visited this house in 1851. Mr. and Mrs. G. Otis Meade III purchased the property from Historic Lexington Foundation in 1974 and carefully restored and adapted it for use as a real estate office. (Photo ca. 1925)
Location. 37° 47.13′ N, 79° 26.482′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on N Main Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is on N Main Street, between E Washington St. and E Henry St. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stonewall Jackson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson's Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockaway (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793 (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lexington (about 500 feet away); The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.