Bamberg in Stadtkreis Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany — Southern Germany (Scarplands and Alpine Region)
The Old Main Watch
[Marker text in German:]
Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim
nach Plänen von J.E. Roppelt erbaut
militärische Embleme von
Johann Bernhard Kamm
Repräsentationsgebäude der fürstbischöfliche Infantrie
[Marker text translated into English, more or less:] Constructed in 1774 under Prince Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim according to the plans by J.H. Roppelt. Military emblems by Johann Bernhard Kamm. A representational building of the Prince Bishop's Infantry.
Location. 49° 53.709′ N, 10° 53.448′ E. Marker is in Bamberg, Bavaria, in Stadtkreis Bamberg. Marker is at the intersection of Hauptwachstrasse and Promenadenstrasse, on the right when traveling north on Hauptwachstrasse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Hauptwachstrasse 16, Bamberg, Bavaria 96047, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Friedrich von Brenner (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Tollhouse (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Bamberg's World War II Fallen and Missing (approx. half a kilometer away); Königlich Bayerisches 1. Ulanen-Regiment Denkmal / Royal Bavarian First Lancers Regiment Monument
Also see . . . Hauptwache (Bamberg). Wikipedia (German language) entry for the Hauptwache, translated to Engish: The former Main Watch, located on Hauptwachstrasse 16, in Bamberg, is a two-story building constructed out of sandstone, with a Baroque-style mansard roof. The building was constructed from 1772-1774 for the military, under contract with Prince Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim. Construction was carried out by Johann Joseph Vogel according to the plans of architect Johann Georg von Roppelt. The military trophies and reliefs were executed by the sculptor Johann Bernhard Kamm (1736-1816). (Submitted on August 27, 2012.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2012, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.