Maggie Valley in Haywood County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Named in honor of R. Gerry Browning, 1884 – 1966. Location and Claims Engineer and Parkway Consultant for North Carolina State Highway Commission, 1925 – 1964.
His forceful presentation of the high quality scenery found in North Carolina secured the location through Western North Carolina and Cherokee Indian lands to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
With consideration and courtesy for those involved, he worked untiringly to secure the rights-of-way for this spectacular mountain Parkway. During the construction of the Parkway he ably represented North Carolina in its dealings with the National Park Service.
“His love of the mountains was surpassed
only by his love of people.”
Marker series. This marker is included in the Blue Ridge Parkway marker series.
Location. 35° 27.465′ N, 83° 8.446′ W. Marker is in Maggie Valley, North Carolina, in Haywood County. Marker is on Road to Waterrock Knob north of Blue Ridge Parkway, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is just off milepost 451 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Marker is in this post office area: Maggie Valley NC 28751, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker Qualla Boundary (approx. 2.8 miles away); Plott Balsam (approx. 4 miles away); Rutherford Trace (approx. 4 miles away); An Ancient and Settled Landscape (approx. 4½ miles away); Qualla Indian Reservation (approx. 4½ miles away); Rutherford's Expedition (approx. 4.6 miles away); Kirk's Raid (approx. 4.8 miles away); Site of First Jackson County North Carolina Courts (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maggie Valley.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.