Kingston in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Rondout Creek Suspension Bridge
Between the 1840ís and early 1920ís ferries were used to transport people and vehicles across the Rondout Creek. The last was a chain ferry affectionately nicknamed the “Skillypot”, Dutch for tortoise, apt for both its appearance and speed. This bridge replaced the ferry in 1921 and served as an important link in the New York . . . Albany truck route until the New York Thruway opened in 1954. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the elegant example of suspension bridge construction now serves mainly local traffic.
Erected by Kingston Urban Cultural Park.
Location. 41° 55.066′ N, 73° 58.974′ W. Marker is in Kingston, New York, in Ulster County. Marker can be reached from W Strand Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the Kingston water-front. Marker is in this post office area: Kingston NY 12401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Island Dock ( a few steps from this marker); The Delaware and Hudson Canal ( within shouting distance of this marker); 20th New York State Militia ( within shouting distance of this marker); Sampson Opera House Louis Caterino ( within shouting distance of this marker); The West Strand ( within shouting distance of this marker); Rondout ( within shouting distance of this marker); New York Stateís Heritage Area System ( within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingston.
More about this marker. The left side of the marker contains a photo of the suspension bridge under construction.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 7, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.