Huttonsville in Randolph County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
On the Eve of Battle
—Jones-Imboden Raid —
On April 23, 1863, Gen John D. Imboden and his 3,300 cavalrymen rested here in the Tygart Valley after marching from Bartow 23 miles southeast on the Staunton and Parkersburg Turnpike. En route, they had waded the frigid, slush-filled Greenbrier River and then crossed Cheat Mountain where deep snow had fallen the night before. Now they prepared to attack Beverly.
Imboden was uncertain how many Federals were at the town and whether or not they know of his impending attack. Capt. Joseph French Harding, who had attended school at the Huttonsville Academy, led a scouting party to the town. As they returned at dawn on April 24, Harding’s men encountered the Randolph County sheriff, Jesse Frank Phares, desperately
Harding reported that there were 1,100 Federal soldiers in Beverly. Imboden had already ordered his troops to start the twelve-mile march to the town. He divided his command into two columns near the present site of Dailey, advancing down both sides of the Tygart River. Thick fog in the valley obscured their movements until 1 P.M. By 5 P.M., the Federals had started to retreat from Beverly to Philippi.
(Sidebar): The 25th and 31st Virginia Infantry regiments were formed here at Huttonsville on June 14, 1861. They were part of Confederate Gen. Robert S. Garnett's Army of the Northwest. When Imboden wrote to Gen. Robert E. Lee in March 1863 of his plans for an invasion of northwestern Virginia, he asked for these regiments: "These two old regiments are from the northwest ... and would fight like tigers the vandals who have so long domineered over their helpless families." On April 9, Lee ordered the two regiments from eastern Virginia by railroad to Staunton to join the raiders.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 42.648′ N, 79° 58.794′ W. Marker is in Huttonsville, West Virginia, in Randolph County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 219 and U.S. 250 on U.S. 219. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huttonsville WV 26273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Huttonsville ( here, next to this marker); Army Headquarters 1861 / Huttonsville ( a few steps from this marker); Bishop Asbury ( approx. half a mile away); Old Brick Church ( approx. one mile away); Elkwater / Col. J. A. Washington ( approx. 6.2 miles away); Camp Elkwater ( approx. 6.2 miles away); U.S. Homestead ( approx. 7.6 miles away); Behind the Parapet ( approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huttonsville.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.