Fort Gillem in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A renowned raider, he guarded the flanks of the Confederate Army, with headquarters near present Depot site, covering the Confederate retreat. A member of Congress 1881-1883 and 1885-1900, he was a Major General U. S. Vols. 1898, Spanish American War and the Philippine Insurrection and was appointed Brig. General, USA. He was one of the nation’s great Cavalry leaders.
Born at Augusta, Georgia, September 10, 1836. Died January 25, 1906.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-AGD-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 37.657′ N, 84° 18.899′ W. Marker is in Fort Gillem, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Wheeler Drive and Hood Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Wheeler Drive. Touch for map. The marker stands in the former Fort Gillem, now owned by the City of Forest Park. The city is just beginning to redevelop the property, and most of the existing buildings will be torn down. The Executive Director of
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hood Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); McIntosh Gate (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hardee Hall (about 400 feet away); Flankers Road (approx. 1½ miles away); Fort Gillem (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Hood Avenue (approx. 2.1 miles away); Iverson Gate (approx. 2.1 miles away); Stewart’s & Lee’s A.C. March to Lovejoy’s Sta. (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gillem.
More about this marker. Fort Gillem was designated the Atlanta General Depot at the time the markers were erected, explaining the Georgia Historical Marker numbering. It was renamed the Atlanta Army Depot in 1962, and Fort Gillem in 1973.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, Spanish-American • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 11, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 11, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.