Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Strasburg in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Bowman

 
 
Fort Bowman Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 3, 2006
1. Fort Bowman Marker
Inscription. The stone house to the south is Fort Bowman, or Harmony Hall, built about 1753 for George Bowman who emigrated from Pennsylvania in 1731-1732. The house is an important example of the Pennsylvania German influence on Shenandoah Valley architecture. There was born Maj. Joseph Bowman, second in command in Gen. George Rogers Clark’s expedition for the conquest of the Northwest in 1778-1779 during the Revolutionary War. Among those buried in the Bowman family cemetery nearby are Joseph Bowman’s brother, Capt. Isaac Bowman, and Samuel Kercheval, the early-19th-century historian of the Valley.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number A-55.)
 
Location. 39° 0.421′ N, 78° 19.163′ W. Marker is near Strasburg, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on Valley Pike (U.S. 11) 0.4 miles north of Quarry Road, in the median. Touch for map. In a median between the north and south bound lanes of US 11. Marker is in this post office area: Strasburg VA 22657, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cedar Creek ( here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Cedar Creek ( here, next to this marker); Frederick County / Shenandoah County
Three Markers in the Median of the Valley Pike image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
2. Three Markers in the Median of the Valley Pike
( approx. 0.2 miles away); 128th New York Volunteer Regiment ( approx. half a mile away); Samuel Kercheval ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Strasburg.
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an older marker with the same title and number that read The stone house to the south is Fort Bowman, or Harmony Hall, built about 1753. Here was born Major Joseph Bowman, second in command in George Rogers Clark’s expedition for the conquest of the Northwest..
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Bowman National Historic Register Documentation. (PDF) Details concerning the site. (Submitted on September 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 

2. Photograph of Harmony Hall. Submitted with the National Historic Site paperwork. (Submitted on September 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. Location of Fort Bowman
On the map, Fort Bowman is located a short distance southwest of the marker at the end of Fort Bowman Road. However, it cannot be viewed from the marker because Interstate 81 was built between the two points.
    — Submitted July 22, 2009, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.
Fort Bowman image. Click for full size.
By Linda Walcroft, July 22, 2009
3. Fort Bowman
Also known as Harmony Hall

2. Additional photos?
We lived in Ft. Bowman from 1983 to 1985. If you would like some photos of the interior and exterior while we lived there, I could go through my albums and digitize a few of them for you to add to the website.
We had a wonderful experience living there, so much so that our oldest son had a painting of Harmony Hall commissioned, that hangs in his living room to this day. It was truly inspiring to look out the front door and see Massanutten Mountain nearby.
    — Submitted December 6, 2016, by Jon Michael Casey of Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesNotable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 3,815 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 9, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   2. submitted on September 30, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on July 22, 2009, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement