Jonesboro in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of McPeak House
Aug. 31, 1864, Hardee’s A. C. & Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s, marched via this old rd. when they detoured from the Rough & Ready road to the one near the railroad, enroute to Jonesboro. This 3 A. M. detour was made to avoid Federal outposts at the bridge near Chamber’s Mill.
This sector was occupied by Federal 14th A. C. troops under Gen. J. C. Davis in the 2d day of battle at Jonesboro, Sept. 1, 1864. Gen. Davis had headquarters at the McPeak house.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 32.996′ N, 84° 20.898′ W. Marker was in Jonesboro, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker was on Jonesboro Road (Georgia Route 54) ¼ mile south of Battle Creek Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 7493 Highway 54N, Jonesboro GA 30236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hardee’s Corps at Jonesboro (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Warren House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hardee’s Detour (approx. 1.3 miles away); Unknown Confederate Soldiers Memorial (approx. 1.4 miles away); Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro (approx. 1.4 miles away); Patrick Cleburne Confederate Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonesboro.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then. Last updated on September 12, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.