Riverdale in Clayton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site: The Mann House
It is cited in reports & dispatches of the movement of the 4th A. C. [US] from Red Oak to the Macon R. R. at Rough & Ready. Aug. 30, 1864, the 4th A. C., on reaching the crossroads at noon, drove the Confederate cav. N. E. on the Flat Shoals Rd. toward Thames’ Mill, then camped in this area: Newton’s div. N. E. of house; Kimball’s & Wood’s at crossroads just west of it.
Aug. 31. The 4th, having been joined by the 23d, resumed the march N. E. & together they cut the railroad at & below Rough & Ready while the 1st battle of Jonesboro was in progress.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 031-33.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 36.1′ N, 84° 25.733′ W. Marker is in Riverdale, Georgia, in Clayton County. Marker is at the intersection of Flat Shoals Road and Riverdale Road (Georgia Route 139), on the right when traveling east on Flat Shoals Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Riverdale GA 30296, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this Baird’s Div., 14th A.C. (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marcus Long Crossroads (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Site: Marcus Long House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site: Shoal Cr. Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); 14th A.C. at Shoal Creek Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Extended Line (approx. 1½ miles away); Site of Couch House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Thames House (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverdale.
More about this marker. The marker originally stood on Flat Shoals Road 200 yards east of its present location. Several years ago it was moved west to the intersection, where two other markers already stood. The original post remains standing.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 13, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.