Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe
Erected 1937 by The Macon Town Committee of the Georgia Society of The Colonial Dames of America.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 32° 50.967′ N, 83° 36.7′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection of Woolfolk Street and Smith Street, on the right when traveling east on Woolfolk Street. Touch for map. The marker stands just inside the gate to the Fort Hawkins historic site. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31217, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Hawkins (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Hawkins (within shouting distance of this marker); War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dunlap House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battles of Dunlap Farm (approx. William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Central City College/Georgia Baptist College (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Also see . . . General James Oglethorpe. Gen. James Oglethorpe founded the Colony of Georgia. The New Georgia Encyclopedia has a biography of Gen. Oglethorpe. (Submitted on September 22, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 18, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.