Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Appomattox Court House in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lee’s Last Headquarters

 
 
Lee’s Last Headquarters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
1. Lee’s Last Headquarters Marker
Inscription. A short distance inside these woods stood Robert E. Lee’s last headquarters. Here on April 8, 1865, he held his final council of war. Here on April 10 he issued his farewell order to his army. And from here, on April 12, he departed for home – across a devastated landscape to war-ravaged Richmond.

Maj. Gen. John B. Gordon described Lee’s last council, the night of April 8:
“There was no tent there, no chairs, and no camp stools. On blankets spread upon the ground or on saddles…we sat around the great commander…No tongue or pen will ever be able to describe the unutterable anguish of Lee’s commanders as they looked into the clouded face of their beloved leader and sought to draw from it some hope.”

Lee and his commanders decided to make one last effort to break past the approaching Union columns. That effort would come the next morning, April 9, on the fields and ridges west of the village. With its failure would pass the last hope to save Lee’s army.
 
Erected by Appomattox Court House National Historic Park. National Park Service.
 
Location. 37° 23.496′ N, 78° 47.004′ W. Marker is in Appomattox Court House, Virginia, in Appomattox County. Marker is on Old Courthouse Road
Markers at Lee's Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
2. Markers at Lee's Headquarters
(Virginia Route 24), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, at the eastern entrance to the park. Marker is in this post office area: Appomattox VA 24522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederates Trapped ( here, next to this marker); Historic Vegetation 1865 ( within shouting distance of this marker); ANV Headquarters ( about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee's Apple Tree ( approx. 0.6 miles away); After the Surrender ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Popularizer of the Banjo ( approx. 0.7 miles away); Appomattox River ( approx. ¾ mile away); Grant and Lee Meeting ( approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Appomattox Court House.
 
More about this marker. The upper left of the marker shows a standing Gen. Lee addressing three of his generals. It is described as “A conjectural view of Lee’s last council of war.”

The upper right of the marker contains a sketch that “shows the view from this spot toward the village of Appomattox Court House, atop the ridge in the distance. Also present is a copy of “Lee’s farewell orders to his troops – General Orders No. 9. Oft-quoted, the text of the order had become a Southern
Appomattox Trail Map image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain
3. Appomattox Trail Map
classic. It was written by Lee’s military secretary, Lt. Col. Charles Marshall.”
 
Also see . . .  Appomattox Court House National Historical Park. (Submitted on March 4, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Site of Lee's Last Headquarters image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
4. Site of Lee's Last Headquarters
Marker is at the eastern entrance to Appomattox Court House National Historic Park.
Actual site of Lee's last HQ image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
5. Actual site of Lee's last HQ
On this spot were established the headquarters of the Army of Northern Virginia, General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A., commanding, from April 8th to April 11th, 1865.
Detail from marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2007
6. Detail from marker
Sketch of Appomattox Court House and Lee's Farewell to his Troops.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4, 5, 6. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement