Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Our Confederate Dead
In Memoriam Our Confederate Dead
“Hon’d sleep the brave who sink to rest by all their country’s wishes blest! When spring with dewy fingers cold, returns to deck their hallow’d mould. She there shall dress a sweeter sod. Their fancy’s feet have ever trod.
By fairy hands their knell is rung, By forms unseen their dirge is sung; There honour comes, a pilgrim gray, To bless the turf that wraps their clay; And freedom shall awhile repair, To dwell a weeping hermit there."
Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Griffin Ga. 1869.
Rest! Soldiers Rest!
Erected 1869 by Ladies Memorial Association of Griffin Ga.
Location. 33° 14.787′ N, 84° 15.181′ W. Marker is in Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker can be reached from Memorial Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in the Stonewall Confederate Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To the Women of Griffin and Spalding County ( within shouting distance of this marker); Spalding County ( within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Cemetery ( within shouting distance of this marker); Georgia Militia at Griffin ( within shouting distance of this marker); The Orphan Brigade ( within shouting distance of this marker); The City of Griffin ( approx. half a mile away); Lewis Lawrence Griffin ( approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Spalding County ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
1. Angel Statue
The angel was designed and carved abroad of Italian marble and brought to the United States by a family from Columbus, Georgia. In route to Columbus, the Civil War caused the shipment to be stopped and stored in Griffin, Georgia. After the Civil War the Ladies Association bought the Angel and the base. The granite used to make the base was quarried in Griffin, Georgia. The monument was dedicated on August 27, 1869.
— Submitted September 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on September 20, 2012, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.